It can be intimidating when first contacting an attorney after an injury—but it shouldn’t be! Here are some things to do and consider as you begin the process. First, come to the appointment prepared. Bring copies of all records and other documentation related to the underlying incident. You can also prepare a list of questions to take with you to your first meeting. Here are some great questions for your attorney.
- How many personal injury claims have you handled? Have any of those claims gone to trial? Of those, how many were decided in favor of the plaintiff?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to personal injury cases like mine?
- How long have you been in practice?
- Do you usually represent injured people or people who are being sued?
- What problems do you foresee with my case?
- What are my options as far as insurance claim versus lawsuit?
- How long will it take to bring the matter to a conclusion?
- How does the law firm/lawyer charge for services?
- What types of experts would the lawyer use to help bolster your case?
- What is the time limit (set by a law called a “statute of limitations”) by which you must have the case settled/the lawsuit filed?
- Would the lawyer handle the case personally or would it be passed on to someone else in the firm? If other lawyers or staff may do some of the work, can you meet them?
Accident lawsuits are often complex affairs, involving evidence gathering, expert witnesses, and a detailed knowledge of law. As a result, it’s important for accident victims to find an attorney who is experienced in injury cases in particular. If you are in the San Francisco area and want to learn more about your claim at no cost to you, contact Sisneros Graziani LLP for a free case evaluation.